Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-04-15

My progress

Hi Cybie

Missed you when you were away, hope you enjoyed it.

Well what is new with me. Still vegetarian and absolutely loving it. Made the big mistake last friday again of going out with my friends after a very emotional upsetting day for dinner and drinks, I thought after a month of almost no drinking or really just one drink every now and again I have it under control.

Just to be driven again by emotions not too eat and too drink too much and pick huge fights with my husband. Its like a new personality comes out viscouse and dangerous one and conveniently I block out everything the next day.

I THOUGHT I WAS OVER THIS?

But after a week of beating myself up I realised the only way I will keep respecting and loving myself is if I NOW giving up alcohol completely. Not even occasionaly.

I am also feel so happy cause since becoming vegetarian (was thinking of becoming vegan but know that could just trigger something in my strict eating ways of the past) I have learned to cook different meals and experiment. I am not afraid of food anymore, I make sure I get enough nutrients and minerals in and eat enough. I lost 4kg and decided now to purchase pure protein soya shakes to drink with milk and water twice a day to increase my energy intake for the day as cutting out meat made me just drop weight. You really have to work at it and make sure you get in enough of everything and I learned to appreciate things I never liked like avo''s, nuts and soya. Looking forward to see if my high cholestrol also went down.

Now I can cook for myself and my husband and everyone comments on what nice food I make.

I love food now and never thought that would be possible.

Sorry for all the " details"  but since you know my history your input is always so appreciated.

Have a wonderful weekend

Had a delightful business break in Cape Town, where the weather was fantastic, as were the people.
Meanwhile, persuade yourself that alcohol is the meatiest meat available, and therfore to be strictly avoided.
Once you have had sifgnificant drink problems, even one drink now and then is a really bad idea. The problem is always likely to recur after even one drink, amd drinking alcohol is not compulsory. Find friends who don't drink, or at least don't drink enthusiastically. Don't go to occasions where drinking will be central. You will in some senses never be over it ; not enough to be able to risk drinking. Especially not when you've had a bad day and are feeling emotionally unsettled.
Vegetarianisn or veganism is FAR less healthy than teetotalism. Yet your attitude towards vegetarianism sounds exactly the atitude you should adopt towards alcohol.
YOui don't go to a major meat braai, or decide that just a thick steak or two won't be a problem, do you ?

3

Posted by: BB | 2011-04-15

Doesnt sound like great progress. Thought u were drinking local ginger beer and devoting your time to worthy charities and saving the planet? Rather chat to your aged aunt and recycle than attend socials with alcohol.Glad to hear you have at least had some success in vegitarianism but remember brazil nuts have a high carbon footprint- maybe give them a miss and eat local pecans.

Reply to BB
Posted by: Regular | 2011-04-15

Binge drinking and fighting with your husband - what progress?

Reply to Regular