Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-09-30

My niece

My sister asked if her daughter, now 18, can come spend 1 week at my house as she is on this diet and wants to make use of our swimming pool. Now, the problem is, my DH is not all that fond of my niece as she is not a very friendly child, has terrible mood swings, can never joke with her. I have a 11 year old who always enjoys playing and making jokes etc - my niece does not like this. Now how do I tell my sister that her daughter cannot come over for a week, without offending her? I don''''t even want to ask DH as I know he will have a hissy fit. My niece has slept over many times in the past, but not lately as her moodiness has just gotten worse as she has gotten older. I feel so bad, I really don''''t know what to do.

Gosh, a diet that needs a swimming pool ? It includes Chlorine and lots of water ? Seriously, if your sister wants you to do her a favour, explain your concerns, and ask whether she can talk to her child and tell her to be more pleasant and relaxed while visiting you, and to control her mood and behaviour. If her moodiness is uncontrollable, she needs a shrink more than a pool. Otherwise, if she will try hard to behave, and to respect your home's style and rules, is it really too awful for your husband to accept one week of this ?
And if the kid needs more exercise, one week of swimming wont help she needs to find a way of having more routine and regular exercise in or near her home.

1