Question
Posted by: Jen | 2008/06/24

MY NEVERENDING DAYDREAMING PROBLEM.HELP!

I 've been having a never-ending daydreaming problem for years now. I'm at varsity now studying veterinary science - a very challenging course. I can't afford to daydream the way i do and expect to pass or even do well. I had the dream of becoming a really good vet when i finish, not like some of the ones i know. I hurts me to feel this will never happen due to my problem.

What are the different differential diagnoses for problem such as this. I would like to investigate on my own. We have a campus psychologist that is not very helpful and almost impossible to make an appointment with her.
My problem: i could be studying, watching a movie, on my way to some place, etc. and i start randomly daydreaming about something usually, but not always, about repeated things: sometimes its about owning my own practice, or imagining the outcome of something i'm anticiipating. Mostly (98%) its about a lover i never and probably i will never have. This daydreamiing can occur every 5, 10, 15, 20 ...minutes. It varies a lot and happens randomly. It occurs more often when i'm studying. If i study under extreme stress, where i haven't gone through bulk of my work, i daydream slightly less but i still do. This annoys me because its affecting my studies and is partly the reason for my empty life. No one around me understands this problem. Therefore i'm asking you to please help me. This can't go on any longer and i'm so extremely embarassed by it.
Please help.

Its a pity that some campus psychologists are not always very helpful or available, but any good campus ought to have more than one available. Trying to deal with this on your own may not be wise, as it could just give you more to ruminate and daydream about. I'd suggest CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) as the most likely relatively brief way of gaining control over this bad habit