Question
Posted by: sids mom | 2011/04/22

my nephew is autistic

hello doc,
my nephew is autistic and he is now 5 yrs old. he was diagnosed autistic when he was 3 yrs old. we are all working together for his fruitful future. my nephew lives in ohio and we live in south africa. i have now got a kid who is an yr old and is a normally abled baby. myself and my sister discuss a lot about my nephews developments as well as my sons. will this discussion of development about my baby affect my sisters worries about my nephews developments. will they make her more anxious about his developments or will they help her feel out of her daily worries. i am really confused. please help me. how do i help/support my sis in this?

Expert ImageAutism Spectrum Expert Forum

hi sids mom, i think the age gap between them is big enough that she probably wont compare them directly although a mom of a child with autism is constantly surrounded by children to compare to...and it is always difficult and heartbreaking! what is far more important is that you are there for her, supporting her, loving her and giving her a platform or place to speak about her child, her fears, etc openly. families with children with autism are often so isolated and i want to encourage you.. just BEING THERE for her is already THE WORLD to her, & the greatest way you can support her, you are a precious sister!

1
Posted by: Autism Spectrum Expert Forum | 2011/04/23

Reply to Autism Spectrum Expert Forum