Question
Posted by: Happy | 2012/05/07

My Name

Would it be rude to tell people to misspelling my name (clients)? I have an unusual name (but not a hard name), which is usually forgotten and mispronounced. But in emails, when my name is in my signature, it drives me CRAZY when my name is misspelt. Today alone, I’ ve received two emails with my name spelt wrong, five last week... My name is always misspelt in the same way- they either start it with the wrong letter, or move the letters around. I find it so disrespectful to me, that they can’ t be bothered to spell my name right.

It’ s actually getting me down that people can’ t be bothered to look at the spelling of my name before sending me a mail. It makes me feel unimportant. I know " what''s in a name..."  but this is just ridiculous.

Hmm. Depending perhaps on which line of work you're in, an unusual name ( so long as its not very hard for others to pronounce, or unusually long and complex ) is usually an advantage, as you stand out in a crowd and may be better remembered.
In an email its odd, as they only need to copy and paste the name if they cant trust tghemselves to spell it right. Maybe this is why some singers and showbiz folks choose a "stage name" Basically, I think it just confirms how little attention people these days tend to pay to others.
Anyhow, it could be worse. If your name is "Sam" and they still spell it wrong, then that surely is worse ?

4
Posted by: Megan | 2012/05/07

I have an unusual surname and some ppl pronounce it " b*tch"  - I get very annoyed sometimes and have on occasion called myself Mrs B*tch when they call!!!!!

Reply to Megan
Posted by: No | 2012/05/07

No dear - you are not over-reacting. I also hate this. I make an effort to pronounce and spell people''s names right, why can''t they. It''s offensive.

Reply to No
Posted by: Annnon | 2012/05/07

your name is one of the most important things about you and if people constantly make the mistake of not spelling it right, i wouldnt even think twice about correcting them. you ask if its rude of you to correct them, i say its rude of them to not spell it right to begin with.

Reply to Annnon