Question
Posted by: Sb | 2008-11-06

My mom needs help

My step dad is constantly picking on my mother and as a result has lost her self confidence. From being such a strong woman she is now constantly at breaking point.

Last night I critasized her without thinking and she broke down. She was still so upset by it today that she had to leave work early. Ordinarily she would simply have told me to go get knotted. Her reaction was totally disproportionate to the comment which I meant innocently and now feel absolutely terrible about.

She has always been the peace keeper, but now I think years of sucking up other peoples sh1te has cought up to her.

Where could she go to speak to someone for advice? She lives in Table View, Cape Town. Thanking you in advance.

Counselling would help her, if she can find a way, with your encouragement, to get some. Talk to her calmly about how much you love her and care for her, how sorry you are that your unthinking criticism so upset her, and how you would like to help see that she sees a counsellor who can be there for her ( as she has been so often for so many other people ), and help her regain her self-confidence, and her recognition of her own excellent qualities.