Question
Posted by: Tasja | 2010-06-06

my mom

My mom has been diagnoses with type 2 diabetics about 2 mnths ago.
What we dont understand is that she is and was never overweight,we are all thin in the family.She did not eat overly bad food,and so on!She is about 1.6m and weight about 60kg before she started on the diabetic diet!She lost 4 kg`s already,and is very thin.She is 63 this year.She was always very healthy,but she smoked,and we think that that was why she got so sick and landed in hospital and was diagnosed with diabeties.Her blood suer was 21,and fluctuates now.
The other thing is her dieticain`s plan she is following is so different from my husbands cousin who also has diabeties??He can eat what he ussually eats,just cuts out suger and fat?He is very,very overweight!
But my mom can only eat portions of food,in other words a very stricked diet!She hates the oat bran she has to eat every day for instance,and has never eaten a lot a bread or pasta(noodles,and spaghetti),now she has to eat bread and so on and so forth.Please can you maybe clear some stuff for us?This was the first time she was in hospital in 26 years,so we were very shocked!

Dear Tasja
There are a number of factors that can cause an individual to develop type 2 diabetes as she gets older. Smoking, stress, a genetic tendency, lack of exercise, etc can all play a role. I am glad that you dear Mom has consulted a dietitian and is using a low-GI diet. It is obvious that your husband's cousin has NOT seen a dietitian and will probably develop problems down the line. It is essential that anyone with type 1 or type 2 diabetes should be counselled by a dietitian and that she should be given an individual diet prescription as is the case with your Mom. The strict diet and doing some exercise like going for daily walks, can help your Mom to control her high blood sugar levels and may assist her to such an extent that she does not require high doses of medications. I would also recommend that your huband's cousin should consult a dietitian before his condition deteriorates.
Encourage your Mom to stick to her diet and if there are aspects she does not like or finds difficult to adhere to, then she must discuss these with her dietitian because she can adapt your Mom's diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-06-06

Dear Tasja