Question
Posted by: Yap | 2008/06/18

my little nephew

I am really worried about my 6 year old nephew. My Dad passed away over a year ago and my Dad was basically his father. After all this time, my nephew is still taking the death very hard. He gets depressed out of the blue or just cries when it is a special occasion such as father's day. I think its very unusual as perhaps one would expect a child of his age to start forgetting. I want to know if this is normal for a child this age and do you think it would help for him to have some kind of grief councelling.

Children are as capable of grief and its complications as are any of us. It sounds as though his depth and duration of grief is unusual, and it would be good for him to see a child psychologist for an assessment and advice based on that. Maybe a grief counsellor could then, if that is the problem, be found with the help of a local hospice, which is likely to know of some

1
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/06/19

Counselling would be the answer. He was only 5 when he lost his "father" and has probably not been able to get over his grief and the shock of losing someone so dear to him. Take care.

Reply to Hope*