Question
Posted by: Addict | 2011-01-13

My lifelong addictions

I am a 25 year old female. My father commited suicide when I was 14 years old. After his death I started experimenting with marijuana and alcohol. This progressed into harder drugs. I loved the high and the feeling of not caring what others think. My family begged me to stop.

I eventually stopped using these drugs but found myself having a eating disorder. I turned bulemic. It is as if I can''''t cope with some sort of addiction in my life.

I currently smoke sigarettes and marijuana on a daily basis. I want to stop but don''''t have the motivation to do so. I can''''t cope without an ADDICTION!

I need expert advice.

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Thank you for your post and firstly can I say how sorry I am for your loss, I cannot imagine how painful and difficult the loss of your Father has been for you.

I suggest following this link and reading the pamphlet "Am I an addict?" http://www.na.org/?ID=ips-an-an-IP7

We will be able to further support you if you would like to come to Harmony for a free assessment. Please do not hesitate to contact us on 021 790 7779

Wishing you love & light. The Harmony Team

3
Posted by: Health24 Admin | 2011-01-24

Thank you for writing to Health24.

We have put your post up on the Eating Disorder Expert''s forum - please watch for his reply.

Reply to Health24 Admin
Posted by: Sara | 2011-01-14

I have a similar situation. My mother was an alcoholic, and my parents divorced when I was 8. My new step mother hated me, and my father always took her side. After school my mother passed away. I then started experimenting with dagga, and then it progressed on to the more harder drugs. I''ve been clean for 4 yeas now, my wake up call was when I had had too much coke one time and I really thought I was going to die, which really scared me.
I didn''t go for help, I made a mental decision that day that I would never touch drugs because I am important, and I deserve a great life, no matter what my family has done, or continues to do to me.
It took so much for me to start respecting myself and to change my ways, but I was prepared to do so no matter what. I changed my circle of friends, I moved, I even told my father what I thought of him (not that he gave a dam) but it felt so good getting that off my chest.
You must want to stop, otherwise if you don''t have that goal then you will always be in this situation. I''m still struggling with my ''Daddy"  issues, but you know what, I know deep down that will never go away. You need to accept what you can''t change, and change the things you can, and ''getting better'' is something you can definitely fix. Come on, I bet you have so much potential, all you need to do is believe in yourself, and F. the rest.

Reply to Sara
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011-01-14

Reply to Addictions expert