Question
Posted by: Jm | 2008/08/25

My Jack wont stop eating!!!

I have a family of Jack russels.
A real pleasure to add, each with their individual personality. Though, there is one(2 years in Nov.) who when I go out to feed, wrestles me and jumps at the food container before it reaches the ground.
Also growls at the others if they attempt or get close to the bowl. My concern is that recently I have been at home often that ususal and noticed that he eats none stop.
Literally, I would feed them the recommened amount to the size of the bowl and then within an hour time difference, he would still be eating.
When im out putting the washing up or checking on the pool-since they love attacking the creepy-he would start eating again.
I am so concerned, as he is as healthy as any of the others and alert as I understand when a dog lacks alertness there could be something wrong.
What do I do or what can be the reason.
Jack Russel Mommy!

Dear JM

Sounds like a very dominant dog and this is sometimes difficult to correct. Try to support him in this role, feed him first alone without the others present. This may slow him down a bit. Worming every 3 months and if he's drinking a lot worth doing a urine test to check for diabetes.