Question
Posted by: Andre | 2011/04/12

My friend is cutting her self!?!

I met this awsome girl, but find out that she is cutting her self. I dont want to ask dirctly about what she is doing. I would like to help her with this prob, but not sure how to approach her. She is very special and its hurting me to see the cuts on her body. Need advice please

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Andre,

Cutting is more often than not a way of dealing with severe emotional pain. People who cut themselves are not usually suicidal as the cuts are not a direct attempt at doing fatal damage to the body. It requires specialist intervention by psychologists and psychiatrists so I hope she is receiving that kind of assistance.

Sometimes being honest is the best policy, and if the cuts are very visible it may be helpful to ask in a gentle way why she does this. Respond by listening and understanding rather than trying to argue the reasons for not doing it.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011/04/20

Hi Andre,

Reply to Teen expert