Posted by: concerned | 2009-04-19

My friend is a skeleton!

I think my friend (whom I only met a few months ago) has an eating disorder because she is so thin I can see her skeleton. She has very sparse hair and gets cold very easily. However, I' ve been watching her very carefully and she shows no obvious signs of an eating disorder. She doesn' t eat a lot, but she does eat a normal amount. Her diet isn' t calorie-controlled. She doesn' t rush off to the bathroom immediately after meals. She doesn' t constantly talk about food or her weight. She doesn' t seem to have low self-esteem. I don' t want to make assumptions, so is it possible that she looks so unhealthy because of another reason? Or are there other forms or signs of eating disorders that I should know about? I' m really concerned.

Dear Concerned
She may have another underlying disease, like malabsorbtion syndrome or hyperactive thyroid and some people just have a very fast metabolism. See but it does not sound offhand if there are signs of an eating disorder.

Posted by: mmmm | 2009-04-20

It could well be that she' s just keeping it from you, they do that, you know. Maybe the only times she eats, is when she' s in front of you.
Do you trust each other? Have you tried talking to her? Sometimes the only thing she needs is a good friend to reach out... well, that' s what i wanted!! It' s important. She may just open up and talk to you.
I hope you can help her. It' s tough and i know how you must feel as well. good luck.

Reply to mmmm