Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2009/10/24

My friend died

Dear CyberShrink,

My best friend had cancer and died 4 months ago. I' m feeling depressed, can you tell how long this stage will last?

xx

Hello Sarah,
Are you feeling depressed ? Or are you bereaved and mourning the loss of your friend ? Maybe it depends in part on how close you two were, but if this was a truly close friend, then, like a bereavement in the family, it takes usually 6 to 9 months to recover to a noticeable extent. Depending on how this is affecting you, and whether it is so severe as to interfere with your work and person life, you may benefit from seeeing a personal counsellor for some sessions.

2
Posted by: Wise Owl | 2009/10/25

I am so sorry to hear that. You know of course the Lord only picks the freshest flowers for his eternal garden and you may wonder why so many rotten to the core people are still alive and seemingly gettting younger ! These things are sent to test your resolve and ultimately to make you a better person, but its not easy to accept I agree. Small comfort for you is to contemplate that your friend is no longer suffering and if she could tell you she would tell you to stop hurting yourself over her passing. I do hope that you will find closure and come to terms with you loss and I wish that I could just give you a great big hug.

Reply to Wise Owl

Hello Sarah,