Posted by: Leanne | 2011-10-18

My fingernails are very thin and weak, what can i do to make them hard?

Hi Doc, I was a nail biter for many years, but not too bad that it was up to my cuticle or until they bleed kinda thing. I have managed to kick the habit, but now they are so weak and thin, I can bend my nails backwards and they don''t crack or anything, what can I take or paint on them to make them stronger? I have been taking folic acid pills and it hasn''t helped.

You can use Brewer's yeast.

Posted by: B | 2011-10-18

You can try LCN diamond dust base coat. It works really well and does not contain formahaldilyde like other nail hardners that make your nails dry and brittle. You get them from a nail salon that sells LCN fpr about R120

Reply to B
Posted by: Leanne | 2011-10-18

Thanks, I will give that a try, at least it is gonna be fun hehehehe

Reply to Leanne
Posted by: Nats | 2011-10-18

Try using products based with gelatine like marshmallows, jelly babies and jelly beans. You can get sugar and fat free versions in case you are diabetic.
It strengthens the nails, but keep taking the folic acid.
When you nails just start growing over the fingertips, cut them with nail scissors or clippers and file them, keep doing this for a while and they will start growing harder. Don''t paint them with anything, until they are strong enough to take the chemicals in the polish/treatment. Keep in mind that the hand/fingers you use the most to dial, enter your pin etc at the ATM will be the weakest as it works the hardest. - Hope this helps

Reply to Nats