Question
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/23

My dog''s nutrion requirements

Hi there,

I don''t want to buy dogfood any longer, I hear about accidentail poisons and roadkill that gets into dog food too often.

I understand that a 16 kg dog, requries 25g protein and 14g fat. A medium egg contains 6.5g protein and 5.8g fat.

Does this mean that I can simply give my 16kg dog four egss each day, and that all his nutritional requirements would be met?

A

Hi Boomer

Dog nutrition is a little more complicated than you think. If you want information on home made diets then discuss the matter with your local vet and/or check out the literature that is available on home made dog food recipes.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

14
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/26

Hi Megan,

I was as surprised. I have horses as well, and belief me horse owners are far worse. :-) It is a pitty that a service such as this, must contain this sort of thing.

The idea is simple, ask a question, get an answer from an expert and perhaps some input from people that have been there, but the posts that have been in this discussion is something entirely different.

Cheers
A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Megan | 2012/01/26

something about this forum brings out a lot of antagonism in people. far more than any other forum on health 24 .... even cyber shrink! I have been reading it with amusement for some time now, remembering the days of " Chill"  and all those heated and argumentative posts. Are dog lovers just more confrontational and opinionated than other people ? hmm ... certainly seems like it!

Reply to Megan
Posted by: Fransie | 2012/01/26

Untimely death of what pet, dear troubled A?
It seems you have read the recommendations of Dr van Zyl on the article you refer to. What part of all of that is not clear to you? It talks about meat, about vegetables, about rice, about pasta, about samp and mealies and sunflower oil and fish.... it also says you cannot hope to replicate the dogs nutritional requirements as available in commercial diets. How the hell do you extrapolate eggs, or eggs and rice, from all of that?
Incidentally you must be a very delicate and sensitive soul if you consider a bit of gentle joshing such as you received as ''abuse''. It is to be hoped that you are never really subjected to abuse, as you will probably crack under the strain. Have a nice life.

Reply to Fransie
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/26

Fransie, yes the untimely death of a pet is some real funny stuff.
You are correct, I most certainly do not share your sense of humour. There are some really sick people. I am hopeful that help is just around the corner. Save your money, you seem to need it more than I do.

Dear Mr / Ms Vet,
I realise that you are extremely busy and that you probably offer this service free of charge. It is very noble. However since I have attempted to use your service, I have suffered quite a bit of abuse at the hands of health24 users. I am still hopeful that you will be able to assist, but in the event that you are unable to answer me today, then please, with the greatest respect, do not bother. I will not come back to this service after today.

In future I would much rather pay a professional for advice. There is usually far less abuse associated.

In case you are able to assist today, then please consider this article from your site 14 tips on what to feed your dog.

If eggs alone does not suffice, then would a mixture of rice and eggs be ok? If so, would the same ratio of 2:1 still apply?

A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Fransie | 2012/01/25

Tsk tsk tsk A, NOW who is being rude?Health24 must perhaps ban your IP address too?
Maybe you should to and check on gumtree if someone is perhaps not selling a second hand sense of humour, i might even pay for it for you.

Reply to Fransie
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/25

Lassie,

I am sorry to see that many things are beyond you. Perhaps it is time for you to run along and read somebody else''s question. You can go and spread your love there?

I am most definteley not interested in your opinions about my level of intelligence, the chances of roadkill or poison making it''s way into dogfood or what you think my next business venture should be. It doesn''t bring any facts to the table in terms of answering the question, which is the purpose of this site. I wonder if you know the nutritional requirements and the total value of eggs as you seem to be very much against the idea for some reason. Were you never told, that there isn''t such a thing as a bad question?

It is quite interesting to see, how you and Brandon get off at these kind of personal remarks, when a question was posed to a vet.

You can pretty much get rid of salmonella, by boiling the eggs. Dogs are also equipped to deal with the germ a little better than humans are.

I am sure the vet would have the facts and would be able to answer me and let me know, what other nutritional requirements there are, if any are not met by eggs.

I hope not to hear from you again?

Cheers
A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Lassie | 2012/01/25

Oops, touched a nerve? Why don''t you think about making your own food - with your obvious interest in nutrition you should be able to make up decent food of your own?
Beats me why the fact that 75 million dogs eat commercial dogfood every day doesn''t seem to count, whereas if one dies, then all dogfood is suddenly evil.
What about if the dog gets salmonella (poison) from the eggs?
Also it is surely pretty nearly 100% certain that roadkill doesnt get used in dogfood - when last did you see a Dog Food van scooping up dead animals next to the road?
It beats me that you''re actually serious about this. Eggs a balanced diet? Methinks definitely not!

Reply to Lassie
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/25

Hi Lassie,

Joking is fine, but personal insults, as shown earlier in this discussion are unwelcome. My apologies for not going into further detail of the nutritional value that eggs offer or any further detail as to where I would get the sustainable supply of eggs etc. Egg shells by the way, are an excellant source of lime, which would probably do wonders for your compost / garden. But I bet you already knew that. My question was addressed to a vet, whom I assume would understand the requirements that a dog has, and all the nutrition that eggs offer.

With humans, eggs increase our metabolism by quite a bit. Now I understand dogs are not the same as us, but they may share those benefits with us. After all, they do like chicken.

My apologies for thinking out of the box. Perhaps you might consider printing this email, keeping it in a safe place, so that you may read it when you hear of a friend who lost a pet, because poison, somehow made it''s way into the factory...

Is there a vet in the house?

A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Lassie | 2012/01/24

A
I also thought you were joking. I was going to ask if you meant battery eggs or free range and suggest you feed three eggs plus their shells (to lower the fat issue) and then I saw you were, apparently, serious . . . Can''t believe what I''m reading! I agree with Brandon - rather stick to roadkill - at least that''s sustainable utilisation!
Lassie

Reply to Lassie
Posted by: Brandon | 2012/01/24

But I apologised!

****hurt feelings*****

Reply to Brandon
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/24

Dear Health24,

Perhaps I misunderstood the forum rules, if not, then I trust that Brandon''s IP address would be blocked from future publications?

Or is this the type of behaviour that we should expect from your users?

A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Brandon | 2012/01/24

Hi A

Your question is so dumb that I was convinced you were trying to be funny.

My humble apologies for having thus overestimated you.

Love and kisses

Brandon.

Reply to Brandon
Posted by: Boomer | 2012/01/24

Hi Brandon,

I wasn''t asking for silly opinions.

Let''s get a vet to answer, after all, thats who the question was addressed to.

A

Reply to Boomer
Posted by: Brandon | 2012/01/23

No dont be silly. Then he would get 26g of protein and over 20g of fat every day and before you know it he would be obese as anything. Rather stick with the roadkill.

Reply to Brandon