Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/05/28

My dog''s hair is falling off her skin!

Hi Vet. My dog is very very old, and it seems that my other dog is kinda taking off all her hair, but it comes off in huge patches and her skin is exposed and bleeding! I looked at it and even I can pull the hair off and it just peels off her. Is this a skin disease or is my other dog just trying to harm her? It looks very gross and I feel sorry for her.

Hi Lee

It is very difficult for me to diagnose the problem in question without doing a clinical examination and hair/skin/blood diagnostics. Animals usually present with additional clinical sign's depending on the problem at hand.
I suspect that the condition is somewhat serious from your description.

A couple of suggestions that may cause this problem include:
a) Acral Lick Dermatitis
b) Endocrine: Cushing's Disease, Addisons Disease, Diabetes Mellitus, Hypothyroid
c) Bacterial, Ringworm, Malassezia
d) Parasitic - Fleas, Mange e.t.c
e) Atophy

I hope this is of help.

4
Posted by: Lee | 2010/05/31

Yes I did take her to the vet, it''s a skin infection that has basically killed the top layer/s of skin which causes the hair to " die"  as well, but vet said it''s not painful to her thank God!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: anon | 2010/05/31

I have had this problem with my dog too. It was caused by infected eczema.
My dog has long hair and is extremely prone to skin irritations - she gets an irritation and if we dont watch it, in no time it is a minor infection and a scab. Then the fur falls off.
It is difficult, expensive and not really good to keep treating with antibiotics so try to keep an eye on the dog. If you see a red irritated patch forming, call your vet. Our dog is now old and we don''t call the vet every time as its always just cortisone which I think is making her worse and as soon as the cortisone is done, it comes back.
We have found tea tree essential oil very effective. Just put a drop of tea tree oil in about half a cup of lukewarm water and use this to gently clean the area. Make sure you dont put too much water on - just damp is enough - or you could make it worse cos damp skin seems to be problematic too. It seems to relieve her itching and the sores don''t become infected so her fur doesn''t fall out. Maybe that will help?

Reply to anon
Posted by: Chill | 2010/05/28

It probably looks very gross - but can you imagine how it feels to her? I seriously hope you have taken her to a vet in the meantime!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/28

Hi Lee

a) Acral Lick Dermatitis
c) Bacterial, Ringworm, Malassezia
d) Parasitic - Fleas, Mange e.t.c
e) Atophy

I hope this is of help.

Reply to CyberVet