Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-26

my dogs are destroying my house

The 4 month old jack russell cross something and the jack russel pure bred are killing me!!! I love them to bits and perhaps I spoiled them but now I get so depressed because we renting and then dogs are destroying thing. I understand they teething but they made a big hole in our brand new sliding door and they chewed the leg or our 6 month old couch. They pee everywhere and anywhere...even on our bed! what do I do????? We work so hard and we come home with the house smelling of pee!

Dear Almost Mad

If you leave dogs of that age on their own you will have trouble. Make use of a doggie school if you have to leave them on their own.

Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-28

I don' t want to labour any points, but....

You say you ' feel so bad' ... etc.

LOADS of people do things to/for their pets out of feelings of guilt, and most of those feelings of guilt are totally misplaced. Dogs are not people, they do not think like people, they do not have the same needs as people, and they should not be treated the same as people. Treating your dogs like pseudo-people is not kind or fair to them.

You are the smart one, and you are in charge. You can place yourself in your dog' s ' shoes' , not vice versa - but those ' shoes'  have to be ones that fit the DOG, not the person. Do some reading up on dog behaviour and psychology and you will cure yourself of these feelings of guilt, and instead, you will be in a position to make sensible decisions about your dogs, for the right reasons.

Just like more pot plants die from OVERwatering than from neglect, many pets are ' maltreated'  out of misplaced feelings of guilt - do not fall into this trap.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-28

Yes, you right...but its my fault because I feel bad to confine them. I have contacted a training school and I need to wait a month for them to be 6months old...but I am not thinking about trying another training school that will accept them at their age as prolonging the situation will do more harm than good. I do appreciate your suggestions.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-27

You miss the point.

Waiting it out is going to accomplish nothing, except that it will entrench their destructive behaviour.

Read what I said: they do not NEED to have the run of your entire house. Confining them to a smaller, less complicated space is not a sign that you don' t love them, it is just plain practical common sense. The solution is to make it impossible for them to access stuff they must not destroy, and to compensate them for this by providing ' entertainment'  that they can do what they want with - hence the toys/chews suggestion.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-27

I dont think there are a lot of people who get to spend the whole day with their pets. I give them all the love and attention when Im home. thanks chili, I do buy them toys and chew sticks..but maybe you right that they still too small to understand what they doing. I love them a lot so I will just have to wait it out,

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-26

They' re having a load of fun and have no idea they' re doing wrong. If you' re away from home, you need to confine them to an area where they can' t do any harm or come to any harm (kitchen? yard?), and provide them with a load of toys and chewing stuff to play with. They do not require the run of your entire house!

Reply to Chill