Posted by: Diane | 2009-06-16

My dog walks with his back leg pulled up against his body

My 7 year old maltese has a problem with his right back leg. I' ve had him at the vet who told me it' s a general problem with this breed of dog. He has had this problem for quite sometime now. Previously it would last for a few days, 5 at the most but three weeks ago it started again and has not eased off. He hops around on 3 legs but doesn' t seem to be in any pain. Should I take him back to the vet?

Dear Diane

It sounds like a patella (knee cap) that dislocates know and again. Surgery can correct this.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-16

First I' ve heard of malteses being subject to right back leg problems... did the vet tell you this on April 1?

Did the vet examine the leg? Did he straighten it out, bend it, move it sideways etc, to see what happened? If not, find another vet.

It is possible that your dog hurt his leg and developed the habit of favouring it - some dogs do this, possibly to prevent pain, if they don' t realise it' s cured. But when a dog does this periodically, I' d get it checked out again, especially if he appears to be in discomfort. If there' s doubt, an x-ray may be the only way to see what' s going on for sure.

Reply to Chill