Question
Posted by: Max | 2011-08-18

My dog sticks his butt in the air

Please can someone tell me why my dog sticks his butt in the air with his nose on the floor. Is it because he is in pain? He often does this in the car, although he is crazy about the car. If he was in pain, I am sure he would not want to be in the car.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Max, from what you are describing, this sounds like one of the behaviours that dogs exhibit called Calming Signals. It is used to either calm another dog or person down and also to calm the dog itself when stressed or even when excited.

Dogs communciate so much to us by way of their bodies as they dont talk. If you want to find out more about these signals, have a look at Turid Ruguus site. She is an expert on this subject and we will also be having a poster on same up on the friendsofthedog site next week. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-19

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert