Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2011/05/02

My dog started biting on the wall and eating the plaster, why?

Hi Vet.
This morning my dog came into the house and started gnawing at the wall, why would he do this? We walk them regularly, he is a 1 year old lab and I gave them bones yesterday to chew. Could he be sick?

Hello Leanne,

I am uncertain as to whether this is a behavioural or clinical problem. I have a tendency to suggest that what you have observed may be attention seeking behaviour. If this problem continues then please contact your local vet.

Dr Campbell

8
Posted by: Dito | 2016/06/14

I h ave two one year old Labs and one of them has started to chew at the wall, ( That is what brought me to this site), and needless to say it can be frustrating! Glad to hear that they will grow out of it, I kind of figured that was the case as with other breeds also that like to chew up all your shoes, (boxer, pit bull). Thanks for all the input from others, it really helps just to hear others experiences.

Reply to Dito
Posted by: Helene | 2015/11/17

I thought it might be a deficiency calcium?? Or something?

Reply to Helene
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/12

My dog Ate a small amount of plaster will he be okay

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/27

My dog is 10 years old and has started on our walls in our bedroom,, he is walked daily, fed nicely, during his walk today he didnt seem to be happy... he lagged behind me which is unheard of for this boy... he gets bones has fish oil tablets and is on antihistamine for his sensitive skin... Dianne

Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/05/27

Hello Leanne,

Dr Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: felicity | 2011/05/07

Hi I have 5 Labradors, two of them just turned a year. All 5 of them in the first 2 years " ate"  the walls, skirting boards, kitchen cupboards, tree''s etc etc. They generally calm down and stop with wall eating at about 2 and then they become LAZY (but gorgeous!) and then you''d wish they would get off the couches etc to go and see the garden every now and then!! Labs are chewers, diggers and awesome animals so you have to expect havoc for a few years then just gorgeously loveable members of the family!!!!!

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Leanne | 2011/05/03

We don''t just walk them now and again, its almost every second day and he has a friend to play with, I am home all day and they are well looked after, but thank you for your comment.

Reply to Leanne
Posted by: Chill | 2011/05/02

Frankly, I have no idea why. There isn''t a disease called ''wallbite syndrome'' - he might be bored, sick, frustrated or whatever. You need to monitor him to see if you spot anything else abnormal in his behaviour, in his eating, drinking and excreting habits, or physically.

If you see him do this you also need to stop him - it will do his teeth a lot of harm.

A one-year-old dog is full of energy which needs to be directed - a walk now and then isn''t enough. He needs stuff to do - google ''environment enrichment for dogs'' to get some ideas.

Obviously if he has anything ''wrong'' with any of the issues described above, then you''ll have to decide whether he must be seen by a vet.

Reply to Chill