Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2012-05-04

My dog is scared of the dark and idling vehicles

My dog is nearly 2 years old and terrified of idling vehicles and when it gets dark he goes inside in front of the tv. When the rubbish removal truck pass our house the dog hide behind the lounge, can you please explain this to me

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Ingrid, it is difficult for me to tell you exactly why this is happening without having more detailed information, but my first thought would be that is was from an event/s that happening when the dog was younger,especially in its earlier formative months, and can be called 'one event learning', in your dogs case, it perceived whatever occurred as a 'bad' event and perhaps the two incidences happened together - waking from a deep sleep to a loud truck which gave him a big fright and there again, the behaviour could have been further reinforced by somebody trying to reassure the dog that nothing to be scared of. With people, if they are scared, worried etc, we will naturally try and reassure them, however with dogs, it does not work this way, and to try to reassure a fearful dog, actually reinforces the fear as the dog thinks that you are concerned a well!

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-05-06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert