Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2010-05-14

My dog had puppies last Saturday.

She is a cross between boxer and boerbull and the dad is a black Labrador. This is her first lot of pups, she gave birth to 4 but sadly one didn''t make it, she was stillborn.
1) Is it normal to have such a small litter of pups? Is it possible that there were more stillborn ones that didn''t come out? What signs should I look out for if this could be the case?
2) I am a bit concerned that she isn''t making enough milk as they cry when feeding and kinda headbutt her breasts when feeding. They are getting bigger and fatter so I assume she is giving milk, but how can I increase the quality and quantity she gives them?

Thank you.

Hi Leanne

1) It is not unusual for a large dog to give birth to four pups. The average number of pups for a bitch is around six.

It would be unusual for the bitch to be carrying more stillborn's. If I suspected that pups were still present then I would look to see if the dog was sick (lethargic, not eating, straining e.t.c) and check to see if there is a smelly/discoloured uterine discharge from behind. If you are unsure then you should contact your vet a.s.a.p.

2)The condition of the bitch and quality/digestability/palatability/quantity of nutrition are important factors pre/post welping as this can infulence the amount/quality of milk produced. I recommend that you feed a premium puppy/lactation diet (Hill's, Royal Canine, Eukanuba e.t.c) to provide adequate nutrition for your bitch and puppies.

2
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-05-14

Generally, the more pure bred a dog is, the less pups they have. Although seeing as you ahve a cross, that''s probably not the reason. Dogs can have anything from 1 to 18 pups and there''s no good way of telling how many they will have by counting the rings on their backside or whatever )

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-05-14

Hi Leanne

Reply to CyberVet