Question
Posted by: rene | 2010-06-07

my dog ate golf car wires

my dog ate our golf cart wires and my hubby is just about give the dog away. i will pay for the repairs, but how do i prevent the dog from not doing it again? hitting or spanking with shoe or newspaper doesn''t work, shouting doesn''t work. how can i teach my dog not to do this again? she knows that she is naughty, but it''s like she doesn''t care?

Hi Rene I would advise that you isolate the golf cart from the dog. If failing the latter try and ascertain why the dog is attacking the cart - is the dog seeking your attention in the form of hitting/spanking, has the dog been traumatized with the cart on a previous occasion (engine noise/chased e.t.c). Once this information has been obtained then I would advise that you seek the help of a dog behaviourist/vet who may assist in how to help you change the dogs environment (enrichment/exercise e.t.c) and/or your interaction with your pet. I would strongly advise that you do not hit/spank your pet as this may make the exacerbate the problem. Your question about sterilization: Yes and No. It is difficult to say whether this will change the dogs behaviour. I would def. advise that you have her spayed if you are not wanting to breed.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2010-06-08

I doubt it will help with the golf cart problem - but of course it would certainly save a whole load of potential problems both in preventing her coming on heat, and also in terms of her health and longevity for the rest of her life. Spayed bitches have a FAR lower chance of certain types of cancer, and of course they can''t get uterine infections which can be very serious.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Rene | 2010-06-08

Hi, thanks for advice. please don''t think that I abuse my dogs, NEVER, i love them very much (their like my children).
she is a very busy dog and i try to give then attention when i come from work, but I don''t think it''s not enough. There is nobody at home during the day so they are alone the whole day. I will get some toys &  incorporate a more playful enviroment. A last question, could it help if we get her sterilized?

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Chill | 2010-06-07

You quite rightly say hitting and shouting don''t work - this is not surprising, because unless you actually catch her in the very act of doing it, she will not have a single clue why you, her pack leader, are suddenly turning on her. Dogs do not have the same kind of memory that we do. You also can''t explain to the dog why she must not ''play'' with this thing - unless you''re around to watch her all the time, the only real solution is putting the golf cart somewhere she can''t get to.

Also, provide her with toys and other things to stimulate her and give her something to do - do a google on ''environment enrichment for dogs'', and you will find plenty of ideas.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-06-07

Reply to CyberVet