Question
Posted by: Poodle | 2011/11/02

My Dog and Car Rides

Hi there, my one year old doggy loves car rides. She stands on my lap with and leans over the open window to get the full effect. It’ s all very cute…  until she tries to jump out while the car is moving!!! She’ s done it about three times now, and I do keep her on her lease and I hook the lease to the gear lock so she can’ t go anywhere, but it still worries me that she tries. I’ ve tried not opening the window so much, but then she cries and gets hysterical because it’ s not open fully. I’ ve tried not opening the window at all, same story- cries and all that. We never have her in the car for long car rides- just down the road to my moms house or something. Never longer than 15 minutes and the window is always open so it’ s not like she is in a stuffy car. She doesn’ t do it with my husband though- when it’ s just the two of them she sits so nicely on the passenger chair but when she’ s with me she has to be all over me, all over the car, and apparently out the window as well. How do I stop this nonsense?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Poodle, i understand your concern, a potentially dangerous situation! What i would suggest is a number of things you may try:-
1, there are expandable metal 'things' that you can put in the window.
2. A cdog car seat belt. This may be best as you may be able to position it in such a way that she can still put her head partly out the window.
3. Window socks that you can buy from the manugacturer of your car.
That she only does this with you shows that it is not the stuffiness of the car that is causing this behaviour.
What you can also try is putting her in the back seat as normal with window slightly open and when she does cry, just stop the car and sit still without talking or interacting with her until she stops. The SECOND she quietens down, then move forward again. This can be very effective but obvisiously you have to do this in a place without traffic, even starting in the driveway. The importance of this exercise is to be consisent. The message to the dog is that if she performs, the ride ends, a form of negative punishment. What is also very important is your lack of interaction with her. To a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive, and if you are shouting at her (understandable!) this could be seen as a form of attention.
She seems to see your hubby as higher in the combined human/canine pack as you, so to up your status I would also suggest bringing in some basic House Rules i.e.
1. Ignoring her totally when arriving home, dont look at, or interact with her. When she has given up and walks away, allow her about 30 seconds to digest the change, then call her, ask for a sit, give a treat and attention.
2. Ignore ALL demanding behaviour for your attention. Again when she gives up, by all means call her back and give the attention. You can vary the time limit here, starting small increments and building up. The message on bot of these is 'i am in charge'. Not only ups your position in the pack, but makes the dog more secure.
3. Put her on a 'work to eat' regime. that is for a few days, perhaps even a week, no food is given in her bowl. She has to come to you, sit, etc, etc, and after the completion of every behaviour requested she is offered some of her food, out of your hand.
We control all our dogs resources, so why not take advantage to up ourselves in the hierarchy and make dog more secure.
Good luck and do let me know how it goes, thanks S

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert