Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2010/02/24

My dog also bites workers!

My gosh, reading Shelly''s post, it feels like I could have written it. I have a similar problem with my 5 1/2 year old german shepherd. The gardener I had never made friends with her as a puppy and used to push her away with the broom and spray her with water from the hosepipe - since then she tries to attack hosepipes - brooms and vacumn cleaners and hates the gardener! She has also bitten him (in front of me) only when I went out to speak to him. Apparently when I am not home she is ok with him, will keep her distance and not worry him at all.

He has since become very ill and left my employment. I have had to employ a new part time gardener and I have had to keep my dog indoors for fear she will attack the new gardener. I take her outdoors on lead for a walk down the road but if she sees the gardener when I return she pulls and barks at him.
How can I get my dog to "  accept"  the new gardener. I understand her reaction is trying to protect me but it is very disturbing.

I had taken her to puppy socialisation when she was young and puppy and dog training with other people and dogs and she was fine.

Thanks in advance

Dear Anon

Your best option will be to involve a behaviourist that can come to your house.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/25

Dear Anon

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Carol | 2010/02/24

My two boxers were teased and chased with a rake ..thanks to that individual I now have two excellent watchdogs!!!!!!

I dont have a full time gardener, but when the part time guy comes I simply lock my dogs up.

Reply to Carol