Question
Posted by: Mof | 2011/02/08

My dog

I have a male boerbull, I think he is around 8 years old now, he lives in the house, sleeps on the bed and even gets a christmas present every year (usually a nice piece of turkey) anyhow last year my dog got this thing on his cheek its like a wound, the hair fell out and it bleeds a little so I took him to the vet and he got an injection and the vet said its heatspots or something like that, a few months later he got one again on his head so I couldnt pay nearly two thousand rand again so I got some ointment and rubbed it on regularly, it went away, now he got one on his neck which I am treationg with ointment. What can cause these things He is not even outside much to get sunlight once I had to literally drag the dog out on his paws to go and look whats going on outside, he is like part of the family and my daughter wont handle it if he had to die they are so attached, he sits with her in the bathroom when she baths he follows her every where and he is always around her when we eat and yes she does give him a titbit here and there. I just dont want the dog to feel pain or anything like that.

Is sounds like a Hotspot , they can be caused by many things. They don't just happen something will irrate the skin and then the dog will rub and scratch the area -this disrupts the protective lining of the skin and bacteri literally take over. Often on the head the cause could be an ear infection to an allergy. It is important that the area is clipped very short and a topical cortisone/ antibiotic cream is applied AS it is recurrent I would look for an underlying cause start with the ears (never rule out flea allergies !!)

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/10

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/08

Hotspots are not uncommon, they are localised dermatological infections, they come up very quickly and need antibacterial treatment. Go and google ''dog hotspot'' and you will find plenty of information, with suggestions as to how to treat them.

They are not at all life-threatening - when they happen they can be very irritating to the dog, and the key is to do something about them QUICKLY, then they go away quickly too.

Must say if your vet charged you R2000 to treat one, I would be making haste to find another vet...

Reply to Chill