Question
Posted by: lilly | 2010/01/14

My docs recommendations for fat loss

Hi doc,

My gp has put me on ciplatrim 15mg. I have 30kg to lose and she says I will never lose so much of fat unless I am on some meds, or else it will take yrs to lose it, even if I exercise, as I am morbidly obese. She said she had 5kg to lose and was stressing over it and took ciplatrim and exercised everyday.

She cant understand why I am so relaxed about being morbidly obese. I explained that I was severely depressed last yr and the last thing on my mind was dieting. I have started eating right and exercising now. I have not done any form of exercise in 6 yrs and have joined the gym last week. I intended starting with 3 times a week and going at my pace until I build stamina. She said this wont do. I need an hour or two everyday and I shouldn' t waste my time with walking around the track or the threadmill. I should be spinning.

Doc, please advise here. For someone who hasn' t exercised, I am afraid this is too much. I also am asthmatic and don' t want to have an attack.

She also told me to limit myself to a tablespoon of rice at every meal and some veggies or meat. I dont think I can survive with so little. I am on glucophage as well.

Dear Lilly
I would firstly advise you to seek a second medical opinion about using Ciplatrim at this stage, because it is evident that you are not getting much support at present. Yes it is important to lose those 30 kg, to reduce your energy intake and to boost your energy output, BUT Rome was not built in a day either and anyone suffering from asthma cannot go from being totally inactive to running the Comrades! This would be most risky. For your own sake please also consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because I deduce that you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) if you are taking Glucophage. Now patients with IR MUST see a dietitian for a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. Eating those minimal quantities of food suggested, will cause problems with your blood sugar control. You need to eat low-fat foods with a low GI in sufficient quantities to sustain your blood sugar levels - this is where it is so valuable to see a dietitian. Your approach to exercise is the correct one, so stick to your guns!
Please see a dietitian so that you can start using the correct diet for your IR which will also help with the weightloss.
Wishing you all the best

3
Posted by: Tinker | 2010/01/15

Why dont u try joining weighless.

Reply to Tinker
Posted by: Boon | 2010/01/14

I think your doc is discouraging you.

Reply to Boon

Dear Lilly
Wishing you all the best