Posted by: Shaun | 2013-02-11

my disabled daughter might have diabetes

My daughter has PWS and is overweight, she has all the symptoms of diabetes - can i go to her GP and ask for him to test for it or is there a home test we can do

Dear Shaun
Do take your dear daughter to your gp for a full examination. If the doctor agrees that she may be suffering from diabetes, he/she will send your daughter to have the proper tests. If she should be diagnosed as diabetic or suffering from insulin resistance then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your daughter's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and physical disability, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.