Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-03-12

My dear Medical Aid

Hi Dear CS

I' ve been on Cipralex 10mg for years and years no my dear old medical aid has deceided i need to be on Lexamil as this is cheaper - wow a whole R50 cheaper a month....They have " automatically"  put me on 20mg Lexamil - is this right?

does 10mg cipralex equal to 20mg lexamil????

And dear cs I read on the pamplet " a potent and selective inhibitor of serotonin (5-HT) - uptake....." 

I thought that serotonin is the " happy"  thingy in your body? surely I should be getting more of it not less?

Please explain!

Love Mom

Lexamil is a generic ( equivlent but cheaper ) version of the idenical active drug as is in Citalopram. So it ought to be equally effective. But the doses should be equivalent, thus at 20 Lexamil, someone has increased your dose for some reason.
Like you and I, Serotonin is versatile, and has varying effects depending on where in the brain it is being active. But the answer to the apparent mystery is simple --- Lexamil and all the other SSRI drugs ( Przac having been the first of the family ) inhibit Serotonin RE-UPTAKE in the brain --- in other words, after serotonin is released to do its work, if you are relatively lacking in it, these drugs slow the process by which the serotonin is absorbed back into the nerves, allowing what there is to act for a bit longer, maki ng up for the relative lack of it. Thus giving you effectively more serotonin bang for the buck.

Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-12

Pinto - who is Antoinette?

Besides - its difficult to masquerade as someone else on this forum since CS can see which IP address the posts come from.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Pinto | 2009-03-12

Nice try Antoinette.

Reply to Pinto
Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-12

Hi CPMom

Cipralex and lexamil is the same thing. Don' t know how they can double your dose just like that. Medical aids can be a huge pain in the backside. Cipralex (and Lexamil) is a SSRI - Selective Serotonin Re-uptake inhibitor. And all it does is prevent serotonin from being re-absorbed by the brain cells - the result, more free serotonin between the brain cells to ensure that messages get passed from one cell to the next. That is how I understand it anyway.

Btw. How is your daughter doing? And yes - I' m the same Liza from a couple of years back. Back on track after some very hard times.

Kind Regards

Reply to Liza