Posted by: Dad ! | 2009-02-17

My Daugther stealing !!

Hello I need advice.
My Daughter is eight years old ( 8 ), and myself and my wife got divorced more than a year and a half ago. I moved on with my life and my ex-wife moved on with her life, but we both love our child and we give her as much love and attention as possible. I see her every second weekend and holidays and all is going well (a usual agreement with divorced parents). But I have noticed a strange behavior from her, because there has been things going missing from my room where she will take stuff from my new girlfriend and hide them and take them, and when I ask her if she knows were the items are then she will just say “ I don’ t know and have no idea what we are talking about” . Now as a father knowing his daughter I know when she is lying and every time when I go into her room to look for all the stuff then I find all the items hidden away which she is taking / stealing… .. And then she will say sorry and that she didn’ t mean to take it…  Why is this happening? She loves my new girlfriend and my girlfriend loves her to bits, and treats her as her own child, but the taking and stealing thing is not good… . Any advice?? I am only a concerned father trying to help his daughter.

Of course she meant to take the stuff, but probably in order to gain more of your attention, and perhaps to express resentment of your relationship with this other woman, rather than to have the stuff itself. Maybe it would be useful to take her to see a child psychologist for some exploration and counselling sessions