My daugther denies using drugs taking her for blood test

Hi my daugter' s friend told me that my daughter is using drugs. I want to take her for testing. Her friend recalls her using it the last time 12 March If I take her for testing will it still be in her system, my daughter denies ever using it.

The drug she apparently used is CAT. What is it?

Expert ImageTeen expert

CAT is methcathenone, a methamphetamine which makes the person very alert, unable to sleep and a loss of appetite. It is an addictive substance and is often cut with other chemicals in the same way that ceystal meth or 'tik' is constructed.

Typically it stays in the system for up to 48 hours after which a negative test will be returned. But if she is using it regularly then if you test her on a sunday or monday then an weekend using would show up.

If she is positive then you need to cosider your options for treatment.

A good place to get advice is the Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre and their website is

I am a 21 year old who used to use CAT quite alot in school. Its basically the cheap, dirty version of cocaine. It messes up your nose, makes you feel terrible the next day, and causes you to not be able to get drunk. Its usually ephadrine mixed with teething powder and in some instances powdered glass is added to get it to your brain faster.

Talk to her about it, don' t force her...

Posted by: KP2 | 2009-05-07

It' s good to know if she is actually doing drugs, but be careful that forcing her to do this test doesn' t destroy your relationship with her. Why not sit her down and rather ask her face-to-face to be honest with her. Don' t offer punishment - rather offer to assist if she needs help.

Good luck!

Reply to KP2