Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/23

My daugter - reply to 3979

Hi doc, she does have friends, but most of the teenagers seem to drink and club, smoke and do drugs. So she outrights says NO when invited to do these things as she is repulsed by smoking and drinking. The fact that she is at home is mostly a choice as she doesnt enjoy all the other stuff the teens do these days, on the other hand she doesnt want to join church choirs, youth etc. She has friends who sleep over occassionally and they do girly things, she goes to malls watches movies and meets her boyfriend on occasion etc. She also tells me everything as I am careful not to criticise and judge. But she is in her own little world with her phone and music. I speak to her but she only rolls her eyes and says " ag mommy" . Should I take her to a pschologist, the previous one didnt find much of a problem.

I know that many kids waste their time on empty "clubbing", but surely not all ? I agree with Maria - find other wholesome groups she can become actively involved with. Large amounts of solitary time on Mixit is not usually a good sign.

6
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/23

Thanks Pam, appreciate your feedback.

Reply to Bee

Hi , my son is 14 and I got him involved in the churches youth group, and he really enjoys that.

Posted by: Pam | 2009/11/23

Hi Bee, I do not think you have to worrie. I have a 16 year old son and have friends and family with 16 year old kids and it seems that they are all like this at this age. I was also worried about the same things, but after discussing it with other people with the same age group teens I feel much better. It seems like a stage they are going through. Keep you open relationship with you daughter and dont'  worry toe much about the " absend mind"  attetude - it is normal.

Reply to Pam
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/23

Thanks doc and Maria, I will try the children' s homes - she loves kids.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Maria | 2009/11/23

Bee it doesn' t sound to me as if your daughter has a psychological problem as much as perhaps a somewhat unbalanced lifestyle. What does she do on Mxit all the time?

Maybe you can try and get her involved in charity work and / or some form of exercise? You can join in too if she doesn' t want to go alone! If she likes kids and has patience then any children' s home will probably love for her to come and tutor kids. Exercise doesn' t necessarily mean gym, you can join a hiking club, or go to bootcamp etc.

It' s great that she is anti-drugs and drinking.

Reply to Maria