Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/22

My daugter

Hi Doc, I have a 16 yr old daughter in grade 10. Up to grade 9 she was in a public school, but her marks were very bad. She was sent for an aptitutde test and found maths and science to be her strong point, although her report card showed it to be her WORST. I took her to a private college and decided to invest in her and cut other expenses and pay the expensive tuition. She now excells in Maths and science getting average marks of 80-95% in Maths, science, biology etc. However, she seems to be absent minded all the time. She does things haphazardly at home, like not take all the washing out the washer, makes concentrate fruit juice so sweet without realising, is convinced something is A when in fact it is B, its like her mind is not applied to what she is doing. She spends hours on mixit, doesnt go out late nights as I dont allow her to club, drink and smoke, she doesnt use drugs, or have sex. What can the problem be? I took her to a psychologist and there was no real problem with her. I am so frustrated that she is not paying attention in life and fear for her future.

Its good news that you had the wisdom to recognize that she could thrive academicall with better tuition - and women / girls with good maths science skills have an enormous range of great opportunities, especially in South Africa. Some of us intellectuals dotend to be absent-minded, concentrating on other thoughts, and being impractical and forgetting significant routine practical chores. Have you discussed this specific problem with her, and explored what she thinks might be solutions ? All that time on Mixit may reflect that she has apparently little or no social life, and is lonely and frustrated about that. Doesn't she have ( or couldn't she develop ) some friendships with nice and reliable fellow-students, with whom she could spend some social time, at your home of that of the other girls' family ?

4
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/23

Hi doc, she does have friends, but most of the teenagers seem to drink and club, smoke and do drugs. So she outrights says no when invited to do these things as she is repulsed by smoking and drinking. The fact that she is at home is mostly a choice as she doesnt enjoy all the other stuff the teens do these days, on the other hand she doesnt want to join church choirs, youth etc.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/23

Hi Kelly, she goes to Damelin/Eden.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/11/23

Hi There!
Are you in Cape town?
I would like to enroll my sister in a college like that as she will be going to grade next year. She also dsnt seem to be doing to well at school and I would be way willing to pay anything to beter her future.
Anyone else that can advise as to where I could enrol her?
Thanx

Reply to Kelly