Posted by: Roons | 2012-09-04

My dad

Hi Dr. I hope you can help me help my Dad. Sometimes he wants to vomit while he is eating food. This has been happening for a while now, but not always. My mom called me tonight and said he vomited up all his food while he was eating. I checked with her and apparently it does NOT get stuck in his throat, but it feels like it gets stuck in his chest. His chest also hurts. I am worried about esophegeal cancer because my Dad is 68 and he smokes and drinks A LOT. He has NOT gone to the Doctor yet, but I am contacting him tomorrow to ask him to please go and have it seen to. I want to tell him that if it is something simple like GERD or reflux it can be treated, but I am concerned myself about the worst possibilities that these symptoms suggest. Can you assist please ?

Yes, it is imperative for your father to consult a doctor. Cancer of the oesophagus is obviously a possibility and will have to be excluded. The doctor will refer your father for a gastroscopy and barium meal to determine where the obstruction is. It is also possible that he is suffering from benign severe gastric reflux with irritation of the food pipe.

Keep me posted about the findings and I sincerely hope that it is nothing serious.

Posted by: Nathaly | 2012-09-15

Thank you Jay for your insightful anlisyas, supported by factual data and references. I find it rather appalling that there are those who continue to make claims without providing a sound basis for their reasoning. I ran across your blog while researching universal healthcare as it is a topic much discussed in this season of campaigning. I count myself fortunate to have ran across this site. As a young professional attempting to develop a valid understanding of the policies and issues of concern in today''s complex environment, I have come to sincerely admire and appreciate those who take the time to share well-constructed, well-researched and well-supported information. Cutting through the chatter, there is a voice of reason. Thank you.

Reply to Nathaly