Question
Posted by: Kirsteyn | 2011/01/28

My cousin and his wife stole our baby''s name - We''re devastated

Our baby girl is 11 weeks old and we named her Morgyn, it took us months to find the perfect and unique name for her.

We decided to swap the " a"  in Morgan to a " y"  to change her name to something special for my special little princess.

Well, my cousin and his wife are both on FB and have commented on Morgyn''s album etc. and we received a sms to announce that their baby Morgyn (yes... with the EXACT same spelling as our Morgyn) has arrived!!! This sms has been sent to their whole family and all of their friends.

Now my brother says perhaps it was a coincedence but I believe in this case, especially because of the way the name is spelt that it is not.

I''m devastated... I have been in a state since the sms came through on Tues and I''m battling to get over this and need some advice, I feel physically ill and I''m so frustrated and feel this is really unfair and do I have a right to say something here?

It''s a clear poaching of the name and I don''t know why people would do this and think it was ok? There are millions of names but they had to settle on my baby''s name, I am so angry and hurt, is it normal to feel this way?

Please help, I need to get over this and I don''t know how :-(

I don' think you can copyright a name, and remember the old saying : "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery." Why does it feel so essential to you thatg your child must have a name nobody else has ever had ? What is and will be unique about her is herself and her growing personality, not her name. There are ugly people with pretty names and vice versa. And don't overdo the "little princess" thing - I don't think it's good for kids. I'm sure she's marvellous as a real live little girl. Pricnesses are very rarely marvellous people, and often ruined and spoiled rotten by being given that status.
And if you Google "Morgyn" you'll find its not a rare name, a recognized variation of Morgan, and even the name of some fictional as well as real characters. You didn't invent it. Cool down. It's your cousin who will seem silly - don't interfere with his choice to do so !

24
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/01/29

So what, the majority of replies to this string is negative, I think most of the replies are cold and insulting.

If it were me I would really be " cheesed"  off and highly upset. So what if it is just a name as everyone says it is. It''s still the name you chose first.

Out of courtesy for you and your husband your cousin and his wife should have discussed it with you first. And since this never happened there is nothing you can do about it.

However, you need to be upset, upset and angry and get over it cause nothing is going to change it, once you have come to terms with it you should confront your cousin and his wife and let them know how you and your husband feel etc. But don''t cause conflict only make it known about how you guys felt.

Hope you are able to come to terms with it. Especially since it is within your own family.

Reply to Outsider

Posted by: Claire | 2011/01/28

It''s easy for you guys to say it''s pathetic and lame of her to be upset. Wait until it''s your child.

Reply to Claire
Posted by: OMF | 2011/01/28

Are you kidding???? Being " devastated"  over a name.
Real things are happening in the real world.
You''re so sad

Reply to OMF
Posted by: KK | 2011/01/28

as for non-material things, I do own more than feelings. Memories, intelligence, personality, humour, wit, knowledge. And more.

Cliched expressions are irritating

Reply to KK
Posted by: also Candice | 2011/01/28

Those are material things Dear KK...

Reply to also Candice
Posted by: KK | 2011/01/28

candice, what crap. I own a house, car, clothes, etc etc etc. Why can''t people be logical, but resort to talking in cliches???

Reply to KK
Posted by: Candice | 2011/01/28

No Candice it is not pathetic, this is an open site and if she wants to voice an opinion let her if you thinks its pathetic then dont read... Everyone one is entitled to their feelings that probably the only thing we own...

Reply to Candice
Posted by: Candice | 2011/01/28

LOL LOL Fishy .... seriously this is so pathetic ...

Reply to Candice
Posted by: Sorry | 2011/01/28

Come on guys give Kirsteyn a break....

Reply to Sorry
Posted by: Fishy | 2011/01/28

I agree with Vrye denker.... Mor Gyn, Mor Vodka, Mor Brandy, Mor Whiskey whatever

Reply to Fishy
Posted by: GrRRRR | 2011/01/28

Your baby is only 11 weeks old and your hormones are still out of syinc.You are reacting out of all proportion. Please read comments above to gain some perspective.
Be thankful for the gift of a daughter and calm down.
If you disagree with the hormone theory maybe get some therapy to cope with real problems you will encounter in bringing up this child.To react as you have to such a small issue one wonders how you will cope throughout the next 20 years.

Reply to GrRRRR
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011/01/28

It''s a stupid name anyway. Not only is the name more commonly associated with boys, but socially awkard boys on top of that. I''m jsut glad you didn''t name her lashawnda or something else with a ghetto flavour.

P.S. It''s not my kid, so I accept it''s none of my business, but since I''m taking the trouble, I might as well point out that you can change her name at Home Affairs. It will cost a fe hundred Rand, but it is entirely possible to change her name to something even more " unique" . Maybe Moargun.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: What''s in a name | 2011/01/28

Your kid was born first so most people will know that they copied you ... no big deal .... not the end of the world as we know it!

Reply to What''s in a name
Posted by: Oh dear | 2011/01/28

Oh dear this is devastating ... people are drowning in the floods and you are worried about someone else having the same name as your daughter .... anyway hope you get over it soon ... please don''t lose any sleep over it either ... :)

Reply to Oh dear
Posted by: AN1 | 2011/01/28

It''s really pathetic of you to get so upset about a name of all things. I can''t believe that you would actually post something like this on the CS Forum - there are people here who actually have serious issues to deal with!

This is really childish!!!

Reply to AN1
Posted by: Mom | 2011/01/28

My story - a friend of mine was pregnant and I had a son at the time and she was having a girl, I told her about a very unique girls name I wanted to give my daughter should I have one and low and behold what did she give her daughter''s name. Anyway we were once close not so anymore and yes I would say it had to do with the name but there was more to it... But my point is I still only have this one child as I cannot concieve due to various reasons so my anger towards her those years ago was pointless.... as mentioned aboove there are more important things...

Reply to Mom
Posted by: really!!! | 2011/01/28

dont you think this is a compliment to you on your choice of a name.......it is afterall a name ........not life and death situation gosh there is more serious stuff to get stressed over. what will you do when you find a famous person with this name???

Reply to really!!!
Posted by: lp | 2011/01/28

you are a spoilt little brat....be grateful you have a child. there are zillions of childless couples who would not mind having one, even if it had a common name like john smith

just grow up

when precious little morgyn gets married, her name will be changing anyway

Reply to lp
Posted by: ANON | 2011/01/28

BWAAAHAHAHAHA

Purple you have a counterpart with the same name as you who is a prostitute ?

OUCH! lol

purple is right names are not as unique as you think.....however i don''t think it was a coincidence your cuz used the same name...
i understand how you must be feeling.......your cuz is a damn JACKASS

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Purple | 2011/01/28

Its a bit of a rotten thing to do, but names are never as unique as we think they are.

Google your child''s name and surname and you will be surprised by how many others all over the world there are with the same name. I was surprised to find that I have a counterpart in Denmark who is a prostitute and has a very well maintained website.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Soul | 2011/01/28

Kirsteyn, I do appreciate and undestand why you feel the way you do, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

Them picking the same name and the same spelling of the name i don''t think it s a coincedence. I do agree that it is a lovely name, unfortunately you get people in life that can''t be original and think for themselves.
Looking on the bright side of the situation your daughter is older than theirs and people will put two and two together.

Do you folks travel in the same social circles as them, are their many family gatherings that both you folks and them attend?

I understand where you are coming from but don''t let them ruin this moment you and your husband share in having a beautiful baby girl, she is so precious and so special and she''s yours. Don''t let this effect your relationship with your hubby and your daughter. You know what''s in your heart and you can live with that.

Reply to Soul
Posted by: Maria | 2011/01/28

Kirsteyn, calm down. So your daughter and her second cousin will have the same name, is that such a terrible train smash? I find it strange that your cousin and his wife made this decision, but perhaps it''s a compliment? They think you came up with a really good name and it would suit their daughter too? Would someone really give their child a particular name just to upset someone else? Because it sounds as if you think they did it to be spiteful or something. Who is the victim here?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: HUH | 2011/01/28

You dont have a patent on any names and it could be pure coincidence.

Just let it go...

Reply to HUH