Question
Posted by: Nanaza | 2010/02/18

My controlling mother

I am 29 and have a daughter 7months. my controlling mother does not want me to move out of her house. She manupilates people to believe her and makes me a bad person and that i am wrong all the time. She even cries to them seeking a shoulder. I told her i want to move out and she insists that i stay until my child turns 1 because she want to throw a big party for her. when i tell her i cant wait till then, she tells me i must baptize my child before i move out. She also told me that she is going to call out relatives to witness that i am moving out and that she is not throwing me out. I really want to move out because i cant take her controlling behaviour anymore. I still love her and respect her as my mother. What is the best way to come out of this situation. Please help me

Expert ImageFamily law expert

There is nothing in our common law that indicate that "anyone" has a right of access to a minor child other than the the child's natural parent/s. You are the mother of the child not the grandmother. Remember in all decisions that you make that they are in interests of the child....always.

bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

3
Posted by: Nanas | 2010/02/19

Thank you for the advice, well i understand what you say. I believe my happiness comes first and that of my child. Well if my child get sick or something, there are alsways cellphones to contact the nearest hospital to assist or neighbours where i will be staying. I dont think that will be a bit of a problem. Yes i am working at the moment and my child has a nanny who looking after, which i take my child to every morning and fetch her after work. My mother does not look after my child durig the day as she is also working.
SO if i move out my child will still go to the nanny and i will still fetch her after work.

Reply to Nanas
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010/02/19

You can move out at anytime and she can not stop you, but you must do what is in the best interest of your child, how are you going to cope living on your own with a baby, what support structure do you have in place in case you get sick or something happen to you, are you employed and if so where will the child be during the day, ask yourself all of these questions first, I think you need a bit of counseling, contact a psychologist for assistance and guidance.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/02/19

bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert