Question
Posted by: WHICH PET | 2008/08/28

MY CHILD WANTS A PET

We have a cornish rex of 12 years that is very fussy and won' t tolerate other pets. The cat belongs belongs to my daughter but as she recently moved into a flat she could not take the cat with her. The cat is ' neurotic'  and would never cope in a flat. My son of 8 is begging for a pet of his own. Anything - that just belongs to him personally. The problem is we all work and the pet will have to be self occupied for the day. Our lifestyle is such that it won' t get much attention. What do you suggest? We had a -|- atiel years ago and its a lovely pet to have but they don' t like being alone. How about a hamster? Any other suggestions?

Dear Which Pet

A nice pair of rats. The keep each other company and are lovely pets. Buy a Feliway diffuser for the neurotic cat.

4
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/28

I tend to agree with the idea of a rat , I had rats several years ago , and they do make fantastic pets.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Ginger | 2008/08/28

My son has got a rat which is a bit more hardy than a hamster and is easy to clean. It seems to like being on its own in a cage. It is very tame and eats anything - so it mostly gets what ever we have for supper. It is not as busy as a hamster so you can play with it easily and it doesn' t require an annoying wheel that squeaks all night long. We quite often sit and read books while the rat perches on his shoulder and enjoys the story too.

Reply to Ginger
Posted by: V | 2008/08/28

Gee wizz. A fish tank is way harder to clean than a hamster cage. How about a ginea pig? I think a hamster is a great idea. If you decide to get more than two though, remember that it is difficult to find their sex, and in 3 weeks time you might end up with 12. Also remeber that these rodents carry a short lifespan so your son should know about this too depending on his age.

Reply to V
Posted by: Viparo | 2008/08/28

Dear Which pet

Please, do not get a mammal of any kind. If the animal isn' t going to get much attention, then you' ll just be cruel. Remember, your son isn' t going to be looking after it, you are. Despite his promises I' m sure. Why not get him a fish tank?

Reply to Viparo