Question
Posted by: spark | 2009-07-28

My Child vs School Kids Dirty Pic' s

If somebody at school shows my daughter (10) dirty pictures, what should I do...

1. Contact the school to sort it out?
2. Contact the childs parents direct to sort out the problem?
3. Ignore this situation?

Not 3. Like K, I would start by gently talking with your child about this ( presumably it was in such discussion you found out about this ). Also discuss this with the school principal, who will obviously not want this sort o thing going on. He/she should also know about the child who was showing these pictures, as their background may need checking. Let the school advise about whether it would be useful to talk to that child's parents.

2
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009-07-28

My suggestion would be:

4. Talk to your child about it. You can' t undo what she has already seen, so talk to her calmly about how she feels when others show her these, and that you wonder how the the people in the pics feel. At 10 you can perhaps also say that you wonder why people think these pics are so great that they want them on their cell phone. Discuss what she is going to do if/when this happens again.

1. A word to the school is definitely also in order, I think. They will more than likely be glad you told them, so they can put a stop to it, at least at school. I was once chairman of a (primary school) governing body and such a matter would have been grounds for a disciplinary hearing.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-07-28

1 &  2 and definitely not 3

Showing a child dirty pics is actually considered child abuse and that person can be charged. Its not a matter that should be ignored.

Reply to CTMOM