Question
Posted by: k | 2010/07/26

My child is very anxious about school

How can i assist my child to feel more confident and less anxious about school. He is already on Tofranil for his anxiety.

Although medications can help some kids with their problems, it would NEVER be my first choice for anxiety. I would be cautious about letting a GP use such drugs in treating my child, without a prior asessment and advice from a suitable specialist. Tofranil, in kids, is more useful in helping with bed-wetting. If he is severely anxious about going to school, it's likely that a few sessions with a child psychiatrist or psychologist could clear it up. Someone needs to talk with the child ( you don't mention the age ) and understand WHY the child is anxious about school, and help them to conquer that fear ( which should also stand them in good stead to handle later fears encountered in life, as they arise ).

3
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/07/27

Maybe the teachers can also assist in painting you a picture of your child during school hours. Talk to the other kids who go to the same school/class. This is providedyour child is only anxious about school and nothing else.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Ruby | 2010/07/27

Maybe you need to take him to a child psycholigist to talk hrough why he''s so anxious about school - perhaps he''s being bullied but doesn''t want to tell you. You can also try Rescue Remedy for anxiety, maybe that''ll help.

Reply to Ruby