Posted by: Cat lover | 2009-04-01

My cat is overweight

My male black Bombay cat has been neutered and he has gotten quite chubby around the tummy - it kind of swings like an udder under him when he runs.

I often joke that I am going to have to buy him a cat girdle! He is 9 years old now, and he larger than the average cat in bone structure and hight / size. He weighs just on 7kgs.

I am worried about his weight as he seems to have gotten fatter in the last year. I switched from normal Purina one dry kibbles to Purina one dry kibbles Indoor advantage weight and hairball control.

We give him just under 1/2 cup in the morning (around 7am) and just under 1/2 cup at night (around 7pm). Sometimes (once per week maybe) we give him a handful of grilled chicken (white meat only) and leave some kibbles out overnight in case he gets hungry.

Is this too much? How much exactly should we feed him to help him lose but still be assured that he is getting enough food to be healthy? I was told by a vet once that because of his breed it is best to serve him 1 cup cooked chicken at night and let him eat the kibbles during the day (to help clean his teeth) but that he should be eating more protien than kibbles because he is a muscular breed of cat.

I am not sure what to do now and I certainly cannot afford to give him chicken every day!

Dear Cat lover

I would agree with the Hills md but take him for an exam. Some bellies get bigger because of a fluid in the abdomen.

Posted by: felicity | 2009-04-02

Maybe try the Royal Canine/Vet Early care senior s/o or Hills feline r/d as they both help with weight loss or if you are wanting to be " less severe"  than try the Hills Feline Snior Light or IAMS light. Try and get the smallest packet available and see if he will eat it as cats are fussy by nature

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-04-01

My vet has told me about Hills MD, an Atkins-diet-type high-protein dry food that doesn' t taste like diet food, but he didn' t have it in stock. My fat cat just steals the neighbour' s cats'  food when I feed him other diet food or reduce his portions and then he gets even fatter. You could try and get Hills MD from a vet.

Reply to Gogga