Question
Posted by: Adopted parent | 2008/09/30

My Cat

My cat recently hurt himself when he fell out of a tree (he just sprained a muscle in his shoulder)

For 2 days he ate very little and he would walk a little then stop and lie down - I assumed both were from the pain of the fall so I took him to the vet who confirmed the sprain and said otherwise he is fine. He was drinking alot of water so I mentioned this and she said it could just be because it is getting hotter or it could be because he has a bladder infection

He was given pain killers and she tired to get a urine sample from him but he would not co - operate. She told us to just watch out for him straining or weeing in unusualy places. That night he wee weed by the front door, near the window he usually goes out when he needs to wee.

The next morning we found that the dogs had wee weed on the front door. Now we dont know if he did this in response to the dogs wee or if the dogs did this in response to him weeing. (I understand this part is more of a chicken and the egg story but I have to ask!) He does not usually do this and I am not sure if perhaps he could not go out of the window because he was sore or if he has a bladder infection?

Thanks in advance!

Dear Adopted Parent

My guess is that the dog urinated where the cat urinated first. Its possilble that the vet used a cortisone injection for inflammation that made the cat drink and urinate more for a day or two. With bladder infection cats urinate frequently and is usually painfull.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/30

There is no way of knowing who ' wee-weed'  first and who ' wee-weeed'  second. Certainly the dogs could have wanted to mask the cat scent.

That cat doesn' t sound at all well, though. There is also no way of telling the precise reason (sore, or bladder) why he didn' t go outside - surely it' s enough to know that either way, he didn' t feel well enough?

I' d be taking that cat right back to the vet, if I were you. If necessary, they must run some blood tests to determine if there' s an infection - you can' t just randomly treat symptoms unless you have some idea where you' re headed. Meantime, the cat is not happy, and that is what must be resolved.

Reply to Chill