Posted by: Sloopy Doo | 2008-12-10

My brother Failed grade 8

I need help, my little brother failed grade 8. He has always been a top student. He does aknowledge the fact that he has been skipping school over the last term and also failed to write 4 of his exams. I dont know why he is acting so rebeliously. He was caught smoking at school. I need advice as i am raising him. could it be that he suddenly feels neglected? There was no drastic change in his life or immediate surroundings. What could be wrong?

Well, if he's been skipping school and didn't even write some of the exams, of course he failed and should have. The questions are WHY has he changed ? ( what else has changed in his life ? Has he begun with bad friends or a gang ? or in drug use ? ) Why did nobody notice he was skipping school ? Did the school not notify you ?
Ultimately, the only likely source of information, unless his teachers have noticed something relevant, is him. Can you arrange to sit down calmly with him and chat about school, how he does or doesn't like it, how he used to do so well there, and your puzzlement as to why this has changed lately.