Posted by: Selva | 2012-11-15

my brother

My brother who is now 30 needs to see a clinical psychologist but refuses to go see one. How do i convince him to go? He suffers bouts of depression, gets dismayed when life challenges him and does not like to socialise with people.

You're probably right that he could indeed be helped by seeing the appropriate professional. But with some people, like donkeys, the harder you push them they harder they resist. Make it clear to him that you love him, you're worried about him, and that you know it is certain that he could be greatly helped to feel happier and to enjoy life more if he would see someone with the right skills to help him help himself.
Kelly's point may be helpful too, to offer to stop nagging if he will sincerely give it a try for long enough to be able to feel the benefits.

Posted by: Rose | 2012-11-17

I also have a brother with exactly the same condition you describe, Selva. It is very hard convincing him to seek help.
Kelly I totally agree with you, they can be real stubborn. You gave a good suggestion there.

Reply to Rose
Posted by: Kelly | 2012-11-15

Hi There

Brothers can be rather stubborn people. They will only do what they want and when they want to esp. when it comes to their health or wellbeing. I dont think trying to convince him is even going to help. The thing is sometimes no matter what you do, you will not get the person the help they need, only they can decide to make that move.

What you could perhaps do is make a deal with him that is he at least goes for 2 session you would stop nagging him. Hopefully this would be enough for him to continue as he realises that he needs to speak to someone.

Reply to Kelly