Posted by: 2lee | 2011-05-31

My breast have milk but not pregnant

Hi, i am 26yrs and been trying to conceive since 2009, i''ve been to a Gynae who advised and guided me thru all this, in April 2011 i was late, went for blood test, Gynae felt my breasts and squeezed them, milk came out (milk has been comin out from 2003 already).Gynae took blood tests and the results were my prolaction was high, gave a presciption (4 pills, 1 each week) i still have milk coming out and i think Gynae wants me to come every month to take my money, i don''t know what to do anymore because i have been to this Gynae umpteen times and nothing''s happening.

Dear 2lee

The condition of inappropriate milk production in the absence of pregnancy or lactation (breastfeeding) id often due to raised Prolactin levels. In some case the use of anti-prolactin medication may need to be continuous over a period of time to bring the Prolactin levels down to normal. In some cases were Prolactin is produced from an extra pituitary source this suppression may not be achieved easily and a full and thorough investigation may be necessary to establish the source of the Prolactin. However in the vast majority of cases the Prolactin levels can be quite easily controlled. If you are getting regular menstrual cycles despite the slightly elevated Prolactin it is still possible to conceive with a little help and therefore the prognosis for pregnancy should be excellent. The importance of ovulation induction and careful monitoring can not be over emphasized in this situation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim