Question
Posted by: D | 2009-06-25

My Boyfriend, My Son and I

Firstly Boyfriend, had an operation a little more than a year ago to fix his nose up so his breathing is normal, bone was abit skew, but ever since then he has been snoring terribly, I have to wake him up all the time to sleep on his side. i think he should go back.
Which brings me to my Son, he is 10 months 1 week old and his teeth has come out about a month ago fast and furiously, at night he wakes up crying, losts of scenarios here, it could be teething...yes? could be ear infection........yes? could be blocked nose.........yes? could be dreams........yes? Whats your take on this?
Me well I have had this for many years in my nose, a white hard pimple like thing on my cartilage in the front.
It is starting to bother me, I think it has been increasing in size extremely slowly and becomes painful when I have to wipe my nose especially when I have a cold and flu for obvious reasons.
What could it be?

Thank you for your time taken to respond

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Hi D

1. Your boyfriend: It sounds like he had a septoplasty (straightening of the septum of the nose) that would have been performed because he suffered from some nasal obstruction. Nasal obstruction (blockage) could be due to a deviated septum, hayfever affecting certain structures in the nose, polyps or other lesions. Snoring can be due to nasal obstruction (as above) or secondary to large tonsils, the back of the tongue collapsing against the pharynx (throat), soft palate abnormalities or just from excess tissue that you find in overweight people. I would suggest a follow-up visit to your ENT to address the above and to make sure there has been no complications secondary to the surgery.

2. Your son: All of those things could cause him to cry and I would suggest you see your pediatrician/GP to make sure he does not have an underlying ear infection.

3. You: You might just have a deviated septum with part of the septum visible in the front part of your nose. This could become sensitive if you have a cold or wipe your nose. If this is a lesion or ulcer that is enlarging it must definitely be looked at by an ENT. I would therefore suggest you see someone.