My boss wants a mediation. Am I at risk?

I recently asked my boss for a meeting to discuss a salary increase. I have been working for the company for 1year and 9 months. I started working as a temp, on a half day basis at R2500, and last year April, they asked me to work full day, after which they adjusted my salary by doubling it. We never signed a contract to this effect and since it was the anniversary of my full day appointment, I thought I should discuss my need for a salary increase with her. She turned me down. Of course I was upset and it showed, although I didnt let it interfere with my work, I was still professional with clients, but because I showed my unhappiness towards her, she accused me of having an attitude and told me that she will not have me work in her company with an attitude. I told her that I dont have an attitude and thats when things got quite heated. She said she wanted a hearing, I asked her what for? I told her that I was doing my work as was expected of me and on what grounds was she requesting a hearing. She couldnt answer me. Today she comes and tells me she wants us to go and talk to a psychologist to help resolve the situation. THis is someone whom weve both seen for personal reasons, and who knows lots of personal things about us. SHe says she wants the psychologist to mediate to resolve the tension that has been between us since our meeting. Am I putting myself at risk by agreeing to this? Or is it something I should participate in, because I am not in a position to leave here now, I need this job until I can find something else. Please advise

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

This normally a very good process and is worthwhile. Mediation does not mean a final finding.

Mediation is a good thing as the Labour expert stated. You will not be victimised and in our company are based on a fact finding mission. The third party will try to leviate any problems you might be experiencing with your manager.