Question
Posted by: SteveD | 2010/04/19

My Boss still smokes in his office

The director of my company has designated his office as a smoking area. The outside emergency staircase is also a smoking area. There are no extractor fans and the smoke travels to the top floor and makes me ill.
I have complained to the EHS manager, but no action was taken other than being told to keep doors closed.

Who is liable the boss or the EHS manager for non-compliance?
Who do I report this to?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

They are both breaking the law. The company, as your employer, is liable for a fine for not protecting your right to a healthy work environment. The law is clear on this: no more than 25% of the work space may be designated a smoking area, and that must be vented to the outside of the building. You need to lodge a complaint with your local branch of the Dept. of Health. You are quite within your rights.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/04/23

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert