Question
Posted by: Concerned Friend | 2011/05/13

My best friend is an alcoholic

I know for a fact that my 27 year old best friend has a serious drinking problem. I come from a family with alcoholic history, her mother is an alcoholic, so I know the signs. The question is what do I do?

She is VERY depressed, history of bad relationships with men aswell as her family and thus she has no self confidence at all. I have been friends with her for almost 17 years and am desparate to help her. I have tried talking to her about it but it almost cost me our friendship. She doesnt drink alone at home, but when she goes out she gets totally wasted and starts hitting on any man who looks her way - what if she hits on the wrong man? She drives drunk too, once she refused to give me her keys so I followed her home and she ended up driving on the wrong side of the road, it was the scariest night of my life watching her almost drive into an oncoming car!

From that night onwards i decided that for my own sanity I could not watch this anymore and I have since avoided seeing her where there will be alcohol involved, I know it sounds selfish but i spent about a year having sleepless nights worrying about this girl and it was starting to affect my relationship with my fiance and my own mental wellbeing.

She told me a few weeks ago that she thinks she needs to stop drinking because she is starting to suffer from memory black outs and thinks she may have a problem, she also went on to tell me that she drinks to give her confidence, but that she will stop.

Since then she has boasted to me that she has cut down and is doing so well. I was so proud of her, until her other friend emailed me and said that she is worried about her because she is drinking more than ever and getting totally wasted every weekend!

So now she is lying to me. What do I do?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Hey there and thank you for your post. It appears that your friend is in need of professional help, we strongly suggest treatment for her. Please call the Clinic urgently on 021 790 7779 to speak to our Clinical Director in confidence. Also it is important that you find help for yourself, as having an alcoholic in your life can be devastating. It is now time to focus on your own health, serenity and wellbeing. We suggest that you attend Al-non, which is a free 12 Step Meeting – you will find tons of support there from people who have had similar experiences to you. You can find you local meeting by visiting their website ww.alanon.org.za. Wishing you the warmest of regards. The Harmony Team

1
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/05/16

Reply to Addictions expert