Posted by: linapk | 2009-05-21

my baby' s behaviour

My 9 moth old daughter started tantrums during night about 4 days ago. She goes to sleep between 7 and 8:30 and she sleeps till 10 then she wakes up crying and then we give her her bottle and sit with her till she walls asleep then every 20 mins she wakes up crying, staniding in her crib, shaking the crib screaming if we pick her up so try and sooth her she pushes you away, if you hold her laying in your arms she turns around and then pushes away. I have tried to rub her tummy or gums and ears thinking it could be one of those that hurt but it does not help, she rolls around and sometimes it seems that she s crying in her sleep. What seems to help is sitting on a rocking chair and just rocking back and forth but she only falls asleep and sleeps for 20 mins.

Someone told me that this is her trying to force her will on us and that by indulging we are showing her that she can get away with it. They said we must put her in her cot and leave her there to scream and after half and hour if she still screams we must leave and close the door untill she creams cries herself to sleep.

I do not beleive in doing that for that long, I have always left her in her cot for 10 mins oor so but I always stay in the room not making eye contact with her showing her that i' m not abandoning her but that she must sleep. she slept through till Sunday then shit started all of a sudden.

Is this just a battle of wills or is there perhaps something else?

OK, whatever is happening at night does not sound like "tantrums", which occur only when awake and in conflict with the caregivwer. These could be nightmares, or more likely what are called Night Terrors, and can be helped, if she sees a child psychiatrist for assessment and advice. At least such other possibilities should be checked out before treating this as bad behaviour.
With nightmares, usually the child wakes and can and will tell you what frightened her. With Night Terrors, the child is often incoherent, frightened but doesn't remember what set it off.

Posted by: D | 2009-05-22

It could be various things, night terrors(just a passing phase-just be there for her), teething (well you will have to wait it out), blocked nose(have to clear nose for her) and many more. My son is 9 months also he had similar problem, he cut his first tooth last week and I know he had difficulty breathing cos of blocked nose and I also know he has probabaly had night terrors too. Last two nights after his 9month vaccinations he seems to stay up later like till 11pm and then sleeps through (which is such a bonus) don' t know how long it will last though. I do know that the nurse said he will exhibit symptoms of vaccination(measles) in 7-10days time.
Hope this helps.

Reply to D