Question
Posted by: Sheena | 2011/03/07

My aggressive cat

I adopted my cat about 3 years ago. Cross Tabby &  something pedigreed the vet says. Gentle &  loving. However let another cat be in the vicinity she hisses, spits &  fights with it. Our neighbors across the way have a boat. She lies under there &  is aggressive to any cat that approaches i.e. the neighbor''s own cat. Mine is about 7 years old and the other cat is about 1 year if that - they just got it. What do I do? The neighbor is getting fed up and I am scared someone will hurt her as she is getting a reputation as a bully. She is not a big cat and does not actively attack anything, she just seems to be very territorial &  not allow any cat near her or me or what she perceives to be her turf. We have a dog and they get on just fine.

Hi Sheena, cats can unfortunately be very territorial especially towards a new resident! This territorial behaviour might sometimes be partially hormone driven, so I would definitely recommend that you have her sterilized if this has not already been done. There are also various homeopathic products on the market spesifically for behavioural problems in cats that you can try out. Just seek advise from your veterinarian before using them. You can also consider to contact a behavioural specialist regarding the problem. Unfortunately though some cats just have a very strong territorial instinct and will not tolerate any strangers!

2
Posted by: ICE | 2011/03/07

Yeah!! We''ve got another Cybervet!

Reply to ICE
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/03/07

Reply to CyberVet